Monday, July 9, 2012

Hans birth

    I recently came across a file folder with letters written by ,and to, my mother.  It was simply labeled "HANS".  Until this reading, I had not known the details of his life.  I'm sure that I still do not fully grasp the faith and strength of my parents during that time.  
 
    My Mother gave birth to 5 children within the span of 6 years, 1 month and 9 days.  I was child number two and my brother Hans was next in line.  
   My parents had immigrated from Holland in Dec, 1956.  My oldest brother, Martin, was born in a hospital in Michigan on Valentine's day in 1957.  The experience was very different from what was the norm in Holland, and my parents found it unacceptable.  They wanted a family-centered, home birth. When it was time for me to be born, Dr. Lucas (who had delivered Martin), was persuaded by Mrs. Lucas to came to the house to attend my birth. 
   Our family moved from Michigan to Herrin, IL in Oct, 1958.  We lived with the Verkamman's, a Dutch family with whom my parents had immigrated.  When Mom became pregnant again, each Dr. in town was approached and each refused to come for a home birth.  On Nov 30th, 1959,  Hans was born at home with only my father and Nellie Verkamman in attendance.  My two sisters, also born at home, followed in close succession, the youngest on March 23, 1963.
   But this story is about Hans.  At the delivery, Tante Nellie saw that there was a open area on the small of his back. The Dr. was called and Hans was taken, via the Johnson's funeral home hearse (which also served as ambulance) to St. Louis Children's hospital.  He was sent home Dec 12th and my parents were told Hans had Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus, and that he was "a hopeless case." 


            
  

   I remember Mom saying that she was glad that the Dr's had made the decisions for Hans' outcome, since they had, she and Pop didn't have to.
   Here's a portion of a letter written by Mom on Jan 7, 1960, to the "Division of Services for Crippled Children" who had paid the hospital bill.  (note that my Mom spoke no English just 4 years earlier)
   You might be interested in how the boy is doing and we are glad to report that he is in as good a shape as can be, considering the circumstance.  The wound in his back is steadily growing smaller but still draining a little, while his head expands not so far.  Most amazing however are the leg movements he displays and that at an increasing rate and strength. How this is possible we don't know yet.  We always believed in miracles and that is precisely what it would be if our son would live and recover in spite of the odds.
   Meanwhile we are very, very thankful for your part in the miracle and we will do what we can in every way to promote Chrippled Children.  Please call on us if there is something we can do to help you out, other than with regular donations. 
   Please find $5.00 enclosed and again thank you, thank you very much.
       I try to put myself in my Mom's shoes.  three babies in 2 1/2 years; one baby with a disability; her own family across the ocean, their only communication through snail mail. I can only imagine the isolation she must have felt, to live a strange land, to be exposed to a foreign culture, and to learn a new language. No washer, no dryer, no Pampers, (just think about the laundry!),no diswasher, no TV.   She was dependant on her husband, good friends and on her faith in God!!
   Another statement Mom had made about Hans and miracles, that on hindsight, it probably was a good thing that Hans had not been miraculously healed of his condition. Could they have given ALL the glory to God, or would that have been a seed of vanity/pride planted in their spirits?  

   To be continued in the next post.




No comments:

Post a Comment