Sunday, May 27, 2012

I've grown accustomed to his face.

   The last couple of posts have been heavy with memories, heavy in my heart.  I've tried to write the next one in the series, but can't just yet.  I'll get back to it later.

   There's nothing like absence that makes the heart grow fonder.  Ray was out of town for just over 24 hours, and returned last evening.  Even though I kept busy, I was lonely. I don't think I've been taking him for granted, but like this song from one of my favorite musicals, "My Fair Lady", says: I've grown accustomed to his looks, accustomed to his voice, accustomed to his face."

                                     "I've Grown Accustomed To His Face"

I've grown accustomed to his face,
He almost makes the day begin,
I've grown accustomed to the tune he whistles night and noon.
His smiles, his frowns, his ups, his downs
are second nature to me now, like breathing out and breathing in.

I was so really independent and content before we met,
Surely I could always be that way again and yet
I've grown accustomed to his looks,
Accustomed to his voice,
Accustomed to his face.
I've grown accustomed to his face,
He almost makes the day begin.
I've gotten used to hear him say good morning everyday.
His joys, his woes, his highs, his lows
Are second nature to me now, like breathing out, breathing in


  The hospital doesn't close down and women don't stop having babies just because it's a holiday, so we all work holidays (and their eves) on a rotation schedule. But, if census is low, there's a drawing to see who gets to stay home, on standby, until we're needed to come in.   This year, I'm scheduled for Memorial day so I'm supposed to work today and tomorrow.  But this morning, I got drawn for stand-by!  I'll be the first to call back, but until then, I'm gonna spend some time with my husband!

   Have a Happy Memorial day to you all.  Spend a little time in memories for those not with you, and then celebrate living!!!


Emily, Seth, Anne, Ray, Christina & Noah, Kelly
2006

                             

No comments:

Post a Comment