Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Forgot to remember

   The other day, I watched Home Alone: Lost in NY with my nieces and nephews.  Kevin said to the pigeon lady "I don't think they forgot you, I think they just forgot to remember you."
  You know how it is.  You graduate from high school and your best friend chooses a different life path than you do. Or, your best neighbor moves to a different state.  You intend to remain close, but in the busy-ness of your own life, those relationships fade from the present to the past,  fade from reality to  memory.
    But it's not just about the people who are "out of sight, out of mind", it's also about the people with whom you share your life.  If you're like me, I've focused on the details but lost sight of the whole.  I've worked tirelessly for others and ended up too tired for intimacy with my beloved.  I've lived a parallel life beside and put off  uniting with the one I'd promised to cherish.   It wasn't that I had forgotten my husband, I had just forgotten to remember: forgotten to remember why I was first attracted to him; forgotten to remember why I had said "I do"; forgotten to remember the closeness of new love.
  Who knew that watching that seemingly childish movie would have such an impact on me?  But Kevin's statement reminded me that relationships are more important than my 'thing's to do' list; that relationships don't survive without constant attention; that 'time spent' with something or someone is the barometer of its value; and that honeymoon is not necessarily a destination, but state of mind.
   Now go. Go now. Don't wait! Life is short!. Have fun!  And don't forget to remember what and who is really important to you.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Anne for your words. I take them to heart. Our Jacob is turning 20 tomorrow, life is rushing by in a blur. We have to grab those moments with the ones we love or they will be gone. I cherish the many moments I shared with you and Cheryl years ago!

    ReplyDelete